Monday, February 21, 2011

Picture Book Marathon, Day 21



Picture Book #21: The Tooth Fairy Only Likes Clean Teeth

Once upon a time, before toothbrushes were invented, the tooth fairy had a very busy life. She spent the night collecting teeth that children had put under their pillows, and the day cleaning and polishing and fixing them up. She barely had any time to sleep. She was very unhappy with this arrangement, so she was relieved when someone finally invented the toothbrush. She could collect pre-cleaned teeth, give them a little shine, and go to bed. She even had a little time to relax. But then one day, she started finding dirty teeth again. It was the teeth of the children who didn't brush their teeth. She was upset, but she didn't want to go back to all that hard work again, so she just left the teeth where they were. The children were so upset that they didn't get any money for their teeth that they (um.... did something?). But the tooth fairy was stubborn. She didn't want to carry gross teeth around, so she kept leaving dirty teeth where they were. Eventually, however, she collected so few teeth in a night that she had nothing to do for long periods of time. So she went around to all the children's houses and left notes that said, "If you brush your teeth, I'll take care of them when they fall out." In this way the children and the tooth fairy compromised, and they all lived happily ever after.

Gahh, what a weak ending. I wouldn't buy this book if I saw it in the store. It seemed like such a promising idea, and then I got to the middle and had no idea where to go from there. I'll probably go back and edit this one so it's actually okay.

I liked this idea because as a kid I absolutely hated brushing my teeth. I don't remember why. I don't think I had a reason. I just remember that I tried to get out of it whenever I could, saying that it was too late and I had to go to bed, or that I "forgot" or whatever. Then my brother got two cavities and then that scared me into liking  to brush my teeth for a while. And then a got a cool electric toothbrush and that was that. Anyway.

I don't really like the picture either. I like the way I drew it, but I didn't realize that it was really tiny and so when I enlarged it it was all weird and pixelated (like you can sort of see in the font). I'd like to re-do the drawing and make it a bit better. I think this whole picture book needs work. Perhaps after the marathon is over. Then again, perhaps not.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...