Monday, March 21, 2011

Giant Group Review Part 1

I was way too ambitious getting into this, so I'll post what I have now and continue updating throughout the week. I spent most of the weekend reading rather than writing, so although I'm (finally) ahead for March Merriment, I didn't even get close to finishing this post. But oh well, I'll continue working on it throughout the week. Later shelves have thicker books, so I won't run into this problem. Enjoy!

Click to enlarge.
Section: Fiction
Shelf Number: 1
Selection: A - Br
Number of Books: 33


Firegirl, by Tony Abbott
Last Read: before July 2008
I got this a a birthday present a few years ago (6th grade, I think) from a good friend. She had never read it, but bought a copy for herself and one for me. I don't remember getting beyond the first few chapters. I don't think I liked it very much. From what I remember, it's about a girl who comes in to class covered in burns, not only making her somewhat of an outcast within the class. The main character ultimately befriends her despite this. Reading reviews now to remind myself of the story, I'm beginning to think I didn't give it enough of a chance and that I may want to reread it.

Alice Through the Needle's Eye, by Gilbert Adair
Last Read: before July 2008
I got this book when I was walking somewhere - I don't really remember where - with my family and I saw a book sale. Someone (or some group of people) had set out 5 or 6 tables under a canopy-like structure, and every table was filled with used books. Of course I begged my parents to stop so I could look for a book, and this one caught my eye. I had enjoyed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and the cover of Through the Needle's Eye said, "A third adventure for Carroll's Alice". I enjoyed it, but found that it wasn't nearly as clever or entertaining as the originals. Oh well, that's what comes of reading sequels by different authors.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
Last Read: never
On my shelf because my brother read it.

Always and Forever Friends, by C.S. Adler
Last Read: before July 2008
I honestly don't remember this book at all. I received it as part of a group of books from an older friend who was clearing out her bookshelves. It is about a young (elementary school?) girl who tries to find a new best friend after her friend moves away. I know I read it, but I don't remember if I liked it. I wonder how long it would take to reread....

Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales (abridged, I assume), by Hans Andersen, translated by Naomi Lewis
Last Read: before July 2008

The Night Crossing, by Karen Ackerman
Last Read: before July 2008
I remember reading this multiple times and enjoying it each time. It's about a young girl who escapes with her family out of Austria during WWII. It's told in a more lighthearted way, that while it addresses this issues of WWII, is accessible and won't scare or be too much for kids to read. Actually, this subject was brought up by The Politick on her last post, and it started a really interesting  discussion: http://curioussparkplug.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday_21.html

Little Women (abridged), by Louisa May Alcott
Last Read: before July 2008

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
Last Read: before July 2008
I've started this book more times than I can remember, but I can never seem to get more than halfway. I'm sure it's a great book, it's just so long that I've never been able to finish it.

What a way to start! I promise, it'll get better after this. I guess I just haven't read that many books in the past few years with authors who's names start with A.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume 1: The Pox Party, by M.T. Anderson
Last Read: June 10, 2009
I don't remember exactly why I bought this book, but I know it was partially to do with that it won the national book award. It was definitely well-written historical fiction, but it wasn't really my kind of book. I liked it well enough to buy the sequel though, so I must be misremembering. Not for younger readers - some not-very-nice things happen. I think if I reread it now, I would enjoy it a lot more, and probably get more out of it. Hesitantly recommended for high schoolers.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume 2: The Kingdom on the Waves, by M.T. Anderson
Last Read: July 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure I never finished this. I don't remember too much about it except a few scattered scenes and that it got really slow towards the middle.

Lindsey, by Chryssa Atkinson
Last Read: before July 2008
I got this as a holiday present along with the doll of Lindsey, the main character. I don't remember thinking this was wonderful, but I definitely read it multiple times. For elementary school girls.

Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater
Last Read: before July 2008
Have I really not read this since before 2008? Wow. I loved this book as a kid. It's fun, an easy read, and different and original. It's also a Newberry Honor book. Recommended for elementary schoolers (2-3 grade?), also would be a good read-aloud book.

The Good Dog, by Avi

Bright Shadow, by Avi
This was one of the books I got at the book swap (see this post). I was counting on it to be very good, as many of Avi's books are. However, this one wasn't his best. Perhaps it was simply because I was far older than the intended reading group, but the situations didn't feel real and the characters didn't draw me in. However, it was written in Avi's great style, which kept me interested even when the characters didn't.

The Secret School, by Avi
I had this on my shelf for the longest time before deciding to read it. I'm glad I did, but the book didn't really stick with me except for the one scene toward the beginning when she's driving the car with her little brother operating the petals. That scene kept coming back to me when I was learning how to drive. But other than that, it wasn't a very memorable book.

Crispin, by Avi
Last Read: never

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, by Avi
My favorite of all of of Avi's books. And it has a Newbery, which I forgot. The caption on the cover says: "A spellbinding tale of intrigue and murder on the high seas." For elementary school readers. Not one to miss out on.

S.O.R. Losers, by Avi
I think I read it, but I don't remember it at all, so maybe I didn't...

Miss Hickory, by Carolyn S. Bailey
Last Read: never

The Indian in the Cupboard, by Lynne Reid Banks

The Wide-Awake Princess, by E.D. Baker
A nice story that I think would be great for later elementary school readers. Tells the tale of Sleeping Beauty's younger sister who goes on a quest to find the perfect prince for her sister.

The Danger Box, by Blue Balliett
This one was hard to wrap my head around. I feel like most people would just toss it aside and say they didn't like it, but I thought it was really interesting. It is told from the perspective of a boy who literally sees the world differently. I didn't love it when I was reading it, but after I finished I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Science Fair, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Barry and Pearson co-wrote the Peter and the Starcatchers series, which I love. I thought I'd try this one out, although I only had medium-high hopes for it. I wouldn't have bought it myself, but I got it from the book swap, so I thought I'd give it a try. Some parts were funny, but most of the humor ended up just seeming stupid and unentertaining. Not recommended.

The Amaranth Enchantment, by Julie Berry

The Penderwicks, by Jeanne Birdsall

The Shakespeare Stealer, by Gary Blackwood

Shakespeare's Scribe, by Gary Blackwood

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume

Fudge-a-Mania, by Judy Blume

Are You There, God? It's me, Margaret, by Judy Blume

One-of-a-Kind Mallie, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libba Bray

Shakespeare's Secret, by Elise Broach

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...