Monday, March 28, 2011

Giant Group Review Part 2

I'm not quite done with part 1 (yes I know, bad me), but I wanted to get part 2 out on time. Both parts will continue to be updated throughout the week. To see part 1, click here.

Also, I don't know why so many of the books I read in elementary school are by authors from the beginning of the alphabet. It's like this until around F. The rest of my bookcase isn't like this. Seriously. 

Click to enlarge
Section: Fiction
Shelf Number: 2
Selection: Br - Cl
Number of Books: 35

Masterpiece, by Elise Broach
Very good, but not spectacular. Reminded me a bit of Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett, but with many major differences. The illustrations were great - they really contributed to the story, and they were a large part of why I liked it as much as I did. Recommended for middle schoolers.

No Flying in the House, by Betty Brock
Recommended for girls in 2-3 grade.

Code Talker, by Joseph Bruchac
I had to read this for summer reading in 7th grade. I did not enjoy it.

Ask Me No Questions, by Marina Budhos
This was another 7th grade summer reading book. It was about a family of illegal immigrants. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than Code Talker, but I don't recommend it.

Bulfinch's Mythology, by Bulfinch
A great source for mythology, but so incredibly long. I never got through it. I might come back to it eventually and just pick up where I left off, since it's a series of short myths rather than a continuous narrative.

Shoeshine Girl, by Clyde Robert Bulla

A Little Princess (abridged), by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I loved both of these Burnett books, and I'm sure I've read both the abridged versions and the full versions many times. I think my favorite of the two was A Little Princess - I even had a doll named Sara - but if I were to reread them now, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer The Secret Garden.

The Secret Garden (abridged), by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Life of Amanda K. Woods, by Ann Cameron

The Stories Huey Tells, by Ann Cameron
Both "stories" books are fun and easy reads full of short stories about two brothers. Recommended for elementary schoolers.

The Stories Julian Tells by Ann Cameron

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, by Eleanor Cameron

Empire, by Orson Scott Card
never read it. My brother loves Orson Scott Card though, so that counts for something.

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll (4 copies)
I loved these books for the longest time. I can still recite most of Jabberwocky (from Through the Looking Glass). But I read Through the Looking Glass for English this year, which forced me to look at both books from an entirely different perspective. I preferred when I could enjoy the clever silliness of the books as a kid, but now I'll never be able to look at the books in the same way.

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore
review coming soon

Fire, by Kristin Cashore
review coming soon

Notes From a Liar and Her Dog, by Gennifer Choldenko
I listened to this book on tape with my mom and then decided to read it a year or so later. Choldenko does a great job of creating a realistic narrator and a compelling story easy to connect to. Recommended for middle schoolers.

Al Capone Does My Shirts, by Gennifer Choldenko

Soccer Scoop, by Matt Christopher
Never read it. Once again, it's on my shelf because of my brother.

Henry Huggins, by Beverly Cleary
Everyone loves Henry Huggins. This is one of the wonderful and timeless books that everyone should read during elementary school. I have it both in book form and on tape - a recording that I highly recommend. Definitely recommended.

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary

Ramona Forever by Beverly Cleary

Ribsy, by Beverly Cleary

Ramona's World, by Beverly Cleary

Socks, by Beverly Cleary

Henry and the Clubhouse, by Beverly Cleary

Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary

Frindle, by Andrew Clements

The School Story, by Andrew Clements

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...