Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekly Review (10 October - 23 October)

In Weekly Reviews, I summarize the posts I've published over the week, as well as the books I'm currently reading, books I've finished over the week, some upcoming reviews, and any comments I'd like to include about the past week. The weekly review feature was inspired by Small Review and Butterfly Feet Walking on Life.

In case you've missed anything, here's what I posted from Monday, October 10th through Sunday, October 23rd.

Note: This weekly review covers the past two weeks.

Reviews

none this week!

Memes


In My Mailbox, 15th Edition
Teaser Tuesday, 33rd Edition


Features


Books Completed


Lioness Rampant, by Tamora Pierce
Daja's Book, by Tamora Pierce
Briar's Book, by Tamora Pierce

Lioness Rampant started out mediocre, but the seconds half got very good and wrapped up the series strongly. However, the first two Song of the Lioness books were by far better than the second two.  Daja's Book and Briar's Book were both excellent, but didn't necessarily wrap up the series. Luckily, there are more books about Sandry, Tris, Daja, and Briar, starting with the four The Circle Opens books, which I read years ago but remember next to nothing about. I'll probably take a break from Tamora Pierce for now, but I'm looking forward to returning in the future. I will be posting a review of the Circle of Magic books later this week.


The Maze Runner, by James Dashner
The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner
The Death Cure, by James Dashner

I reread The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials so that I'd have them fresh in my mind for The Death Cure (which I highly recommend - my brother read The Death Cure without rereading the previous two books, and mentioned that when starting TDC, he had forgotten who some of the characters were, and some of what had happened in The Scorch Trials). The first time I read TMR and TST, I liked the former far better, but this time around, I found myself preferring the latter. But that is almost irrelevant because The Death Cure was SO EPIC. Oh my gosh. Just one thing right after another, and I wish I could squee about it all day but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet. And the only people I had on hand to rant about how good it was were my friends who hadn't read it yet, and so of course I couldn't give anything away, so they had to listen to my running commentary without knowing what was going on, which was a lot of me getting more and more excited as the book raced toward the end. I'm not sure if I will be able to write a review for these books, as my thoughts are not quite in order yet (see above), but I'm hoping I can get a review up in the next few weeks. If not, please read these books. They are so good.



Dangerously Placed, by Nansi Kunze
Love That Dog, by Sharon Creech
Hate That Cat, by Sharon Creech

I read Dangerously Placed for review. I liked it, and it was nothing like what I normally read. The word that comes to mind is unique. A unique twist on a good ol' mystery. Love That Dog and Hate That Cat are both fantastic verse novels. Review to come.

Currently Reading


[schoolbooks not pictured]


Tales from Grimm and Andersen, by The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories, by Washington Irving (for school)
Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe (for school)
The Narrative of Frederick Douglass (for school)
Dogsbody, by Diana Wynne Jones

Lots of reading for school... yippee *rolls eyes*


General Updates

Well, I definitely needed the blogging break this week. I barely had time to read, much less blog. (The "books completed" section seems to refute that statement, but it's true!) But now I'm back, and there's lot of fun stuff to come!




What's going on this week for you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...