Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Judge A Book by Its Cover - The Goose Girl


In Judge a Book by Its Cover, I compare different covers of the same book and discuss which covers I prefer and why. Your opinions are welcome! Click on any of the images for a larger version.

For this edition of Judge a Book by Its Cover, I'm happy to hand the reins to my good friend Ray. She's judging a book that we both love, and one that I'm reading for FOOF: The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. My review to come soon.

Summary (from Goodreads):
Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends the first years of her life under her aunt's guidance learning to communicate with animals. As she grows up Ani develops the skills of animal speech, but is never comfortable speaking with people, so when her silver-tongued lady-in-waiting leads a mutiny during Ani's journey to be married in a foreign land, Ani is helpless and cannot persuade anyone to assist her. Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny. Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can become queen of the people she has made her own.

About Ray: I am an avid reader who will read anything I can get my hands on.

Cover No. 1

Cover No. 2

Cover No. 3
Spanish Edition

Cover No. 4
Indonesian Edition

Cover No. 5
Bonus Cover
Fan Art Made by CrownJewel, found on Shannon Hale's Blog, Squeetus.
Click here for the original post. 

Ray didn't write about this cover, because I accidentally 
forgot to send it to her. But here is:
Cover No. 6
UK Edition


Cover No. 1: I like this cover and I know Pica does too. The castle and makes me think of fantasy without even opening the book. The crackle effect on the whole cover is a little off to me as is the drawing of the girl. In my opinion the birds look like swans not geese.

Cover No. 2: I am partial to the second cover, merely because it is the one on my shelf. But there is more to my liking than just the fact that I own it. The green archway shows a journey without revealing much about it and is aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. The only issue I have with this cover is that it doesn’t give me a chance to imagine what Isi looks like.

Cover No. 3: This cover is beautiful and shows her in a nice gown, something unseen in the other covers. The goose is present as are other animals. It reminds me a bit of a Disney princess with the animals all around her. There is something about girls in princess dresses and animals. It is a sweet cover and makes me want to read the book.

Cover No. 4: The Indonesian cover is interesting because I just noticed that her reflection is a completely different picture. I think it expresses the two sides of the main character (trying not to spoil the story here). The only thing I don’t like is how far away the girl seems in proportion with the giant lake and letters.

Cover No. 5 (Bonus Cover): This is my favorite cover of them all. The girl has such a look that is hard to describe. I can’t tell if she’s longing for something or merely looking at her hair that is magically flying behind her. If my hair could do that I would stare at it too. The picture is so captivating for me; the drawing is real enough to look like a rough painting instead of the very block style of the first cover.

Ray's Favorite: Cover No. 5 (Bonus Cover)

Thank you so much for this Judge a Book by Its Cover, Ray!


Which is your favorite? Judge this book by its cover!

Want to suggest a book for Judge A Book by Its Cover? Click Here for the form!

This feature is part of my Fortnight of Old Favorites Challenge.
Which seems to keep going and going and going... but I'll finish it soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...