Sunday, September 25, 2011

In My Mailbox, 12th Edition

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren
Participants are encouraged to talk about anything bookish they received during the week.

I got a ton of books this week, and all without breaking my book-buying ban. Yippee! 

Goliath, by Scott Westerfeld
Received: Pre-ordered
I got this on Tuesday and freaked out. I was SO excited to get it. I rarely skip my entire TBR for new books, but I did not want to wait for Goliath. And it was AMAZING. Click here for my review of Goliath.

Icefall, by Matthew J. Kirby
Received: Pre-ordered
I read and reviewed Matthew J. Kirby's debut novel, The Clockwork Three, in January, and Icefall is his newest book.  I really liked The Clockwork Three, and Icefall's summary has piqued my interest, so I have high hopes for this one.


Dangerously Placed, by Nansi Kunze
Received: Review Copy from Publisher
Yay! My second book I got to review from a publisher! I have to admit, the reason I was interested in it at first was that the summary mentioned that Alex, the main character, works at a virtual realiy company. The only other book I've read that has anything to do with virtual reality was Heir Apparent, one of my favorite books of all time (and the review of which is coming this week). Also, it was recommended for ages 12 and up, and I've been in the mood for a good MG lately. I have high hopes for this book as well.

Library Books:
It all started when I went into the library for a few minutes to grab a copy of Matched, since I'd forgotten mine at home. But although when I'm just doing homework in the library, I can usually convince myself that I have enough to read at home, when I'm coming to check out a book, it's hard to resist getting a stack. So I got a stack. I don't know how many of these I will read before they're due. They're not really on the top of my TBR, but I'm glad I got them.

 Savvy, by Ingrid Law
I have almost bought this book so many times, but somehow, every time I've been distracted by another book. Finally, I just got it from the library. I've wanted to read it for so long time, and it's just ridiculous that I haven't at this point. And writing this IMM, I just realized that it won a Newbery, which makes me even more excited. If I like Savvy, I will be sure to pick up Scumble, the sequel, which came out last year. I don't remember having read any reviews for this book. Has anyone read it that can let me know what to expect?

 Alanna: The First Adventure, by Tamora Pierce
I loved the Alanna books (AKA the Song of the Lioness series) in middle school, but I don't remember much of them. I decided it was time to revisit Tamora Pierce. I really, really hope they're as good as I remember.
Sandry's Book, by Tamora Pierce
At the same time I was reading the Alanna books, I was also reading Circle of Magic. I think I may have even started Circle of Magic earlier. I know I definitely read it more times. As long as I was revisiting the Alanna books, I grabbed a copy of Sandry's book as well.
The Demon King, by Cinda Williams Chima
I had never really had this series on my TBR, but I'd been hearing a lot of good things about it recently, and it was right in front of me, so I thought, why not? This is a series I can imagine really enjoying and eventually buying, but for now I don't have any expectations.

[EDIT: Returned without reading]
Daughter of Venice, by Donna Jo Napoli
I think this was on my TBR at one point, but it sort of drifted off. Anyway, when I saw it at the library, I grabbed it. The summary on the back makes me think I'm going to like it, but I haven't heard anything about it. I believe Donna Jo Napoli also has written a lot of fairy tale retellings, which I love, so if I end up enjoying Daughter of Venice, I'd like to read a few of those as well.

[EDIT: Returned without reading]
Stravaganza: City of Masks, by Mary Hoffman
I'm not really sure why I got this one other that it was from the library, so I tend to haphazardly grab everything that looks vaguely interesting. This particular book was mentioned once on Squeaky Books, one of my favorite blogs, so it caught my eye. I'm not sure if I'm going to get to this one, but it sounds pretty good if I do.

[EDIT: Returned without reading]



What's in your mailbox?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...