Sunday, September 18, 2011

In My Mailbox, 11th Edition

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren
Participants are encouraged to talk about anything bookish they received during the week. 

Wonderstruck, by Brian Selznick
Technically,  I didn't break my ban with this book. Technically, this is my brother's book. He bought it, he paid for it, he gets to read it first... I just "pointed it out" to him (aka did my very best to convince him that he'd love it so that I'd get a chance to read it too). Yay for wonderfully nice brothers.

I can't wait to read this one. I'm rereading The Invention of Hugo Cabret for FOOF, and I want to read it back to back with Wonderstruck. Wonderstruck is told in the same style as Hugo Cabret, with both words and images, but where Hugo Cabret used both the text and the pictures to tell one story, Wonderstruck has two parallel stories, one told with words and one with images, that come together at the end (or so I understand). I promised myself I'd read Hugo Cabret last of the FOOF books, so I'm going to have to wait a little while before I open Wonderstruck, but I am certainly going to be hurrying through the other FOOF books to get to it.


Elemental: The First, by Alexandra May
Received for review from Paul at Pauma Publishing
My first book for review from a publisher! I am so excited. I don't have too many expectations about this book. It doesn't sound amazing, but it doesn't sound bad either. And as there haven't been any reviews yet, I haven't gotten anyone else's opinion. In some ways, I think that's a good thing.









What's in your mailbox?

2 comments:

Charlotte Black said...

Hi there, I've done a review for this book already and here's some more to help you out!

http://unputdownablebookies.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-elemental-first-elemental-1-by.html

http://vampsweresandcassay.blogspot.com/search/label/Alexandra%20May

http://gracefulreads.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-review-elemental-first.html

I LOVED it, thought it was really new and original.

Charlotte xx

Pica said...

Great review. Thank you so much for the links. Now I'm very excited to pick this up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...