Thursday, April 21, 2011

Word Clouds

My newest favorite toy is creating word clouds on Wordle. It's a writing tool that sorts words by size depending on how often they're used in the text. It helps authors figure out when they're overusing words. It's also extremely fun. I decided to make a word cloud for my most recent review here on PicaReads, which was The Invention of Hugo Cabret (from way back at the beginning of April - I can't believe it's been that long since I've done a formal review!)

Click to enlarge
I was pretty surprised by the results of my Wordle-ing. I knew I used the word "book" quite a bit - I am talking about books, after all - but seeing it visually makes me think I overuse it way more than I thought I did before. There were actually a ton of words that made me look twice at what I had written.

Anyway, I thought that would be fun to share. I highly recommend checking out Wordle; it's lots of fun and soon you start wanting to make Wordles out of everything (I even turned one in as part of a project in class today). More posts will be coming soon - I'm in the middle of a couple of reviews that will hopefully go up by the end of this week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...