Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ridiculous Book Reviewers

I'm all for everyone having their own opinion about books and I encourage people to shout those opinions to the world (why else would I have a blog like this?), but every once in a while I come across a "review" that makes me roll my eyes and ask myself how a person who reads books for fun can be such a bad writer.

This came up today when I was looking through books I might buy (because I really need more books - yeah, right) and one review said: "waist of time"

That's it. That was the entire review. Seriously, people?

Browsing around, I found a couple other such reviews. I probably shouldn't care as much as I do, but I feel like people who love to read who are evaluating and giving their opinion on a work of art composed of language should at least pretend to care about language. These people sound like they haven't had an English class in their lives. What gives them any right to criticize literature when they can barely write themselves?

Conversely, not everyone is out there to write stellar reviews. Perhaps they were just jotting down a few general reactions and forgot to proofread. I might be ranting about something not worth ranting about.

I suppose it's just my pet peeve (one of them, anyway). What do you think about these kinds of reviews?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...