Friday, October 1, 2010

The Queen's Thief

By Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief
Start Date: 11 September 2010
End Date: 15 September 2010

This book was unexpectedly good. I had heard about it from multiple people who really liked it, but I wasn’t expecting it to be spectacular, merely good enough. However, a few chapters in, the story was quietly snatching hours from my day. When I finally put it down, I was surprised to see that it was a Newberry award winner. Looking back, it unquestionably (undoubtedly?) earned the title. I especially liked the development of the main character, Gen, and how even though the book is written in first person, the reader is still trying to figure him out by the end. The book is funny, engaging, and a fantastic read.

The Queen of Attolia
Start Date: 17 September 2010
End Date: 19 September 2010

The 2nd book of the series, I didn’t like it quite as much as The Thief, but again there was a very well-presented story, complex enough to keep the reader’s interest, but not so complicated that it’s confusing. Again, Gen is funny, surprising, and an overall great character.

The King of Attolia
Start Date: 23 September 2010
End Date: 25 September 2010

The 3rd book of the series. I got very frustrated reading the middle section of the book because I felt that Gen was not being nearly interesting enough, and the story was told from the point of view of Costis, a guard, who I frankly didn’t care about. But of course, being part of such a great series, it came together magnificently in the end. (I just love when books come together so nicely in the end, and all the little pieces of the story fall into place—it’s so great.) Although this particular book can be a little trying at times, it’s definitely worth it in the end.

I haven’t read the fourth book, A Conspiracy of Kings, yet. I will post when I do.
[EDIT: see my review here]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...