Monday, October 25, 2010

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

By Michael Scott

The Alchemyst
Start Date: 15 October 2010
End Date: 16 October 2010

The Magician
Start Date: 16 October 2010
End Date: 17 October 2010

The Sorceress
Start Date: 18 October 2010
End Date: 24 October 2010

The Necromancer
On my to-read list.

I read The Alchemyst for the first time several years ago. At that time, I was not impressed by the characters, the plot, and many other aspects of the story. However, when I recently received the first three books of this series as a gift, I decided to try it again. It still think it’s not fantastically written, but I enjoyed it and I thought each sequel made the story more complex and more interesting. Many people have bought these books because it involves Nicholas Flamel, a character mentioned in Harry Potter. However, Rowling did not make up Flamel specifically for Harry Potter. The Flamel in both Harry Potter and The Alchemyst is based on a real, historical person who lived in Paris in the 1300s and was rumored to have found the secret to eternal life. Scott also incorporates a host of other characters adapted from other sources, such as John Dee, William Shakespeare, Niccolo Machiavelli, Hekate, Gilgamesh, and many others. Overall, I would say that the first book is okay, but not great, and the second and third really pick up the pace and make the series a lot more interesting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...