Sunday, August 21, 2011

In My Mailbox, 8th Edition

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren
Participants are encouraged to talk about anything bookish they received during the week.

Okay, I couldn't resist. I am really bad at this book-buying ban thing. I was out of town with my family for a couple of days this past week, and we found a wonderful little used bookstore in Ashland, Oregon, called The Book Exchange and I couldn't help picking up a couple books. They were really cheap, and in great condition. So, for this week, I bought...


Dealing With Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede
I listened to the audiobook of Dealing With Dragons years ago, and I loved it so much, I checked it out again a few weeks later. I have since checked it out of the library several times, as well as the hard copy. I've wanted a hard copy of my own since forever, so, when I found it, I thought, why not? I just read two Patricia C. Wrede books in the last week, though, so I might wait a bit before reading this one. I thought about checking the audiobook out of the library to listen to as I'm re-reading it, since I remember loving this particular audiobook. If I remember correctly, it's a full cast, and it gets all the names right (which I never could manage while I was reading - I used to call Cimorene Cinemore). I'm excited to revisit this old favorite.

Sorcery and Cecilia (Or, the Enchanted Chocolate Pot), by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
As you might have guessed from what I just wrote about Dealing With Dragons, I love Patricia C. Wrede's books. I've never tried this one, so I decided to give it a go.

Zombies Vs. Unicorns, by by Holly Black (Editor), Justine Larbalestier (Editor), Alaya Dawn Johnson, Maureen Johnson, Carrie Ryan, Scott Westerfeld, Meg Cabot, Garth Nix , Kathleen Duey, Margo Lanagan, Naomi Novik, Diana Peterfreund, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare
This one seems like a ton of fun. I don't really have any expectations, except to enjoy reading it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass this along to my brother once I'm done, but I want to read it for my own enjoyment first. Of all the books I bought this week, this is the one I'm probably going to pick up first (after Warped, since I already finished that one on Friday).

Warped, by Maurissa Guibord
Read my review of Warped. This book has been on my to-read list for a very long time, so when I saw it in near-perfect condition, I couldn't resist picking it up. I read it on the plane home, and enjoyed every minute.











Tales of Grimm and Andersen, by Grimm and Andersen (wow, big surprise there)
This book doesn't get a picture because it's just plain old blue. Of all the books I bought, this is the most "used" but I really like it. I've always loved fairy tales (and fairy tale retellings, and twisted fairy tales, etc.), and I have wanted to get my hands on a copy of the original tales for a while. I've read abridged versions of the originals, but now I'm going to read the original originals. Yay. I'm excited. 

This coming week I really will stop buying books. I hope.
What's in you mailbox?

2 comments:

Small Review said...

I loved Sorcery and Cecelia! It's part one of a trilogy, but you can easily read it as a standalone. Hope you like it! I should really do a reread of Dealing with Dragons :)

Pica said...

I really hope I like Sorcery & Cecilia. I've heard so many good things about it, especially from people who love Patricia C. Wrede like I do.

And I agree, Dealing with Dragons is always worth a reread. The audio version is currently checked out of the library, but hopefully by the time I get around to rereading the book, it will have been checked back in. I didn't include this as part of my FOOF challenge, but I definitely want to read it soon.

Overall, I think this IMM has some books I'll love and a few that I won't like quite as much. I suppose we'll see eventually.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...