Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

by Jessica Day George
Start Date: 13 April 2010
End Date: 13 April 2010

Well, after reading the Dragon Slippers series, (also by Jessica Day George, I'll post about them later) I wanted to see what else she had written. I really liked her style, although I felt that the Dragon Slippers books were written for a younger audience than what I was used to. But anyway, I bought Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, and was totally blown away. Expecting a lighter style more like the JDG books I had read before, Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow caught me completely off guard. I found myself caught up in the characters and accidentally stayed up almost all night finishing it.

The story is about a girl with no name, called "pika" which means "girl" in the language of the North. Blessed with the ability to speak with animals, she is sought out by an isbjorn (polar bear) who requests that she come with him and stay in a place for 1 year. In return for her family's health and safety, she agrees. However, as she slowly unravels the secrets of the Ice Palace, she realizes that the isbjorn is not who he seems. I really don't want to give away what happens, so my summary sounds vague and unhelpful. But the reason I don't want to give anything away is that the plot itself, in addition to the beautiful writing style, is incredible and will keep you turning pages until to last word.

1 comment:

eaglescry said...

sounds good and like something i would read. i like animals and sort of tribe-like circumstances, if u know what i mean.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...