Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Blue Shoe

By Roderick Townley
Start Date: 28 April 2010
End Date: 30 April 2010

I thought I was going to like The Blue Shoe as soon as I saw the subheading: "A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes". I knew I was going to like it when I saw that it was written by Roderick Townley. It didn't disappoint me. From the first page, I was drawn into the tale of Hap Barlo, a shoemaker's apprentice in the village of Aplanap and the caretaker of a mysterious blue shoe. It was covered with precious blue stones, but its unusual size and shape made it impossible for it to fit anyone. And in addition, it was only one shoe, which made it even more useless. "Yet everyone who learned of this shoe was seized with the desire to own it." Hap is finally overcome by the temptation and is sent to Mount Xexnax, where the criminals were sent. I don't really want to give away the rest of the story, but it is really good. Also, dazzling illustrations by Mary GrandPre, best known for her illustrations in the Harry Potter books complement this subtly enchanting tale.

1 comment:

eaglescry said...

ooooo she did the harry potter illustrations... where is aplanap (such a good name) supposed to be?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...