Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: Kat, Incorrigible

By Stephanie Burgis
Series: The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson #1
Hardcover, 304 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Atheneum
Age Recommendation: Middle Grade

Summary (from Goodreads):
Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them. But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiancé, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the upmost. If she can learn to control her new powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true love?

Kat, Incorrigible was a delightful middle grade adventure that both follows the tropes of and slyly pokes fun at your average Regency-era historical fantasy. The plot was light and fun, but what really made Kat, Incorrigible special was Kat herself. She is the most fun and spunkiest of heroines, and a joy to read about.

From the very first page, I knew that I would like Kat. Little did I know how much I would like all of the other characters too. When I started reading, I got Angeline and Elissa a little confused, but it was soon sorted out because of their distinct and enjoyable characters. Both were wonderful, but the other characters were almost as fun. From poor besotted Fredrick Carlyle to the formidable Lady Fotherington.

The pace is even, quick enough to keep a middle-grade reader's attention easily, but not rushed and certainly not lacking in character depth or plot details. Every scene brought up some fresh situation for Kat to wriggle into (however unintentionally).

The magical elements were not fully explained, but they fit into the world unobtrusively. I hope that the magical aspect of Kat's world is expanded in the second book, but I was perfectly happy with what I got in this volume.

Overall Thoughts: Kat, Incorrigible was lots of fun. I found myself reaching for the book even when I should have been thinking about other things. I would definitely recommend this to any middle grade girl looking for a spunky heroine and a good time.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...